In a country like India where the sun is directly above us for the greater part of the year, getting fair skin can be a daunting task. Too much sun exposure, pollution, the humidity and grime all make it difficult to retain our skin’s texture, health and original complexion. So what are the measures you need to take to get brighter skin? Here’s a list of some of the most tried and tested skin care tips for fair skin that you should begin to include in your beauty routine at the earliest…
1. Protect your skin from UVA and UVB rays that can cause it harm. One of the ways is sunscreen and the other, covering your face when you step out into the sun. If you’re outdoors, carry a hat, umbrella or scarf and use a good sunscreen that can protect your skin from sun’s rays especially during 10 am and 4 pm when they are said to be the harshest! The earlier you make this a habit, the more your skin will reward you for it.
2. Most of us already exfoliate our skin during a facial. But if you want fair skin, you need to make this a part of your skin’s routine at least once a week. Exfoliation will get rid of the surface level dirt, grime and dead skin to reveal glowing skin that lies beneath. Plus, the circular motion of exfoliation also helps to facilitate blood circulation that promotes the growth of new cells. You can do this by way of exfoliating gloves or a gentle scrub.
3. Even dummies are aware of the fact that in a tropical country like India, no skincare routine can be complete unless there is an SPF factor involved. Sunscreen is a must and SPF 30+ will suit our climate the best! Find one that is meant for your skin tone—oily or dry—and one that won’t leave any greasy residue behind. Also note that it is best to apply sunscreen about 20 minutes before you step out into the sun if you want it to be most effective.
4. Diet plays an important role in your skincare routine so if you’re wondering how to get fair skin, start eating Vitamin C-laden fruits and veggies. A glass of lemon water through the day, some more citrus thrown in through the course of the evening and perhaps antioxidant-rich dark chocolate too, since antioxidants are known to help with skin lightening.
5. One of the other ways to get fair skin is to make homemade fair skin masks a part of your skincare ritual. A common one is to mix equal parts of milk and honey, apply the mixture on your face and leave it on for about twenty minutes. When repeated once a week, you can expect to see a change in your skin tone over time.
Alternately you could also add a mashed slice of papaya to equal parts of lemon juice and milk and apply the paste on your face for the same amount of time. When done, rinse off with lukewarm water.